- Additional information
Neoprene Buoyancy Shorts ‘The Next Step’ by Zone3
Size Options: XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL
What makes this product different:
* Lower level of buoyancy compared to the Original buoyancy shorts.
* Concept has helped 1000’s of swimmers improve their swim technique and speed
* New design and comfort focused waistband
The shorts are made from top quality Yamamoto smoothskin neoprene and are stitched and bonded just the same as a triathlon wetsuit. They are designed using 2mm neoprene down the centre and 3mm neoprene down the sides. The 2mm provides the additional buoyancy whilst the 3mm side panels complement this by promoting hip rotation through each stroke.
The shorts serve three main purposes:
1. For novice or intermediate level swimmers the major factor which prevents them from swimming faster is the lack of core stability and leg kick. Their arm strength and technique are good but because they are not horizontal on the top of the water they create a lot of drag and ‘dead weight’ which makes it much harder to swim efficiently.
With the buoyancy shorts the swimmer can get more used to swimming in the correct horizontal and streamlined position, so they start to build a ‘neural pattern’ of how they should feel in the water. This also allows the swimmer to concentrate on making a more effective leg kick and better forward glide with each stroke, without that ‘sinking leg’ feeling.
With the extra buoyancy support, the swimmer can also focus more on the technique of their arm stroke, without the constant battle to keep the hips and legs in a high position in the water.
Results have shown that over time a swimmer’s body position, speed and endurance can be significantly increased by training with buoyancy shorts.
2. Suitable for any level of triathlete who wants to refine their open water swimming technique whilst in a pool. Swimming in a wetsuit during a triathlon is very different to swimming without a wetsuit during a swimming race. The majority of your power needs to derive from your upper body whereas your legs and core provide the essential control. These shorts help develop your open water swimming technique whilst in the pool, where wearing a full wetsuit would either be too hot or banned by the life-guards.
3. For use in open-water training or races as an alternative to swimming in a full wetsuit (when the weather is warm enough!).
The Buoyancy Shorts were first developed by Zone3 back in 2007. The original invention of this product was made using a 5:3mm thickness combination of smoothskin material but due to overwhelming demand, Zone3 have now released a less buoyant design called ‘The Next Step’. This option is made from the same smoothskin material as the originals but with a 3:2mm thickness as opposed to the more buoyant 5:3mm. These shorts are aimed at those athletes looking to progress their swimming to the next level who are looking to further develop their technique and efficiency but don’t need as much core support.
The original buoyancy shorts were designed to allow swimmers to see the improvement in their body position and technique after training with the 5:3mm support. However, some swimmers find the difference between 5:3mm buoyancy and zero buoyancy too much so the 3:2mm option is the perfect stepping stone.
The product concept has eight years of fantastic customer reviews behind it. Our buoyancy shorts have helped thousands of swimmers to improve their body position in the water, together with their swim technique. They are designed to give an alternative to a pull buoy; giving the athlete extra core support but with a more natural feeling of buoyancy. The latest version of these shorts now includes a more comfort focused waistband and updated graphics. The thinner materials used in the 3:2mm design means they are more subtle to wear on poolside.
This product has received hundreds of positive reviews from swimmers who have seen significant improvements in body position, speed and endurance by training with buoyancy shorts. Despite the great feeling they give a swimmer in the water it’s best to only use these shorts during certain swim sets rather than the full session. Intended to be worn over your usual swim-costume.
Sizes available are XS, S, M, L and XL. Each set of shorts has a drawstring so they can be tightened to any waist size but we would recommend the size XS for waist sizes 26– 28, S for 30-32, M for 32 – 34, L for 34 – 36 and XL 36-38.